Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Recession depression - delivery problems

Another problem/hurdle that we have building here in the mountains is that building suppliers are cutting their hours. They may now be closed on Saturdays and close early on other days due to lack of sales. The stores have gotten down to a skeleton crew and now the outside salesmen may actually be delivering lumber too. If delivery trucks need maintenance, they may or may not put them back on the road and as a result of all of this contractors don't get their materials delivered as quickly. 

I used to be able to get my materials the same day and now if I'm lucky I will get it the day after I order it but sometimes it could be worse, depending on what I am ordering. That means that I have to be more on top of the materials that are on the job so the flow of materials does not hold up the construction process, knowing which vendor is having problems delivering materials and what days they have adjusted their hours is also important. As a contractor, the person who keeps the job moving, coordinated and organized, I have to always be aware of how the game is changing and adapt and find ways around the obstacles that are being put in my way of operating an efficient project.